5 1 5


San Cristóbal de La Laguna
- Arquitectura Civil y Doméstica. Anterior al S.XX -

Property located on Calle San Agust nn 16, was built in 1746 by the sergeant major of riding Francisco Gabriel Monta s del Castillo y Machado, on the plot purchased from Jos Costero Mugarrieta and brothers for 2,500 pesos.

Don Francisco Gabriel Monta s of the Machado Castle, inherited from his parents the mayorazgos of his house and the patronage of the Convent of Los Silos to which the bonds instituted by his maternal uncles Don Fernando Llanos del Castillo (presbyter) in 1700 joined , and by Don Antonio Llanos de Chaves in 1734.

The execution of this work was quite fast since said plot was purchased on January 18, 1746, and on May 5 of the same year the owner asks the town hall license to place his coat of arms on the facade. In 1747 the house is completely finished, its value is estimated at 8000 pesos. Given the speed of execution it is thought that some parts of the old house of the Coastal were used.

Within the cast of Canarian surnames is Monta s, of Castilian origin, whose nobility is credited in the Order of Santiago. The Monta s were Regidores of Tenerife in 1675 and Patrons of the Convent of San Bernardo in Los Silos.

Since the partial rehabilitation of the house in 1986, it is the headquarters of the Canary Islands Consultative Council, being completed under the direction of the architect Sebasti n Matias Delgado Campos in 1994.

Casa Montañes

GERM N DE ARMAS, Adri n : Gu a de La Laguna 1986. Page 49.

CIORANESCU, Alejandro : La Laguna, historical and monumental guide 1965. Page 154.

MART N RODRIGUEZ, Gabriel : Canary Island Architecture 1978. Page 247-248.

DARIAS PRINCIPE, Alberto : Architecture and architects in the Western Canary Islands , 1874-1931 1985. Page 74.

SORIANO AND BEN TEZ DE LUGO, ALFONSO : Laguneras Houses and Families. The Lineages and Palaces of Nava-Grim and Salazar de Fr as. page 13-137. 2007

The house has three floors with mezzanine: cover very repeated in La Laguna with hollowed out holes, family shield in the center that appears adorned with curving leaves and two finials at the ends; on the sides there are two windows of rejeria that correspond to the mezzanine. The upper windows are of the guillotine type, decorated with good bearings. This building is topped with the overlapping of a tile eave to a stone ledge.

On both sides of the door, in its internal part, there are two stone urinals attached to the wall. The patio is square, whose center is a stone fountain. The house presents a magnificent work in wood in all its plants, among which the drainage is zoom rich. The staircase presents a first section in stone, then continued in wood.

Currently this building is the headquarters of the Canary Islands Advisory Council.

Casa Montañes

The first member of the Monta s family to arrive in Tenerife is Juan Ram rez from the mountains of Toledo, married to Beatriz Garc a D niz, and settles in La Orotava in the first half of the 16th century.

Taking this as the first generation, the character that interests us for the building in question belongs to the seventh, of which the first two are linked to La Orotava, the next two (both in the female line) to San Juan de La Rambla, and the other two to Los Silos whose convent of Cistercian nuns (Bernardas) of San Sebasti n founded Sebasti n P rez Enr quez, husband of Luisa Francisca Monta s who held the line of succession in the fourth generation, and of which they were patrons. The last name Monta s does not appear until the third generation, and this in second place to pass already in the sixth to the first.

In 1985 the house was acquired by the Autonomous Community of the Canary Islands to locate in it the headquarters of the Canary Islands Advisory Council, at that time the building was in a very poor state of conservation.

The rehabilitation works began in 1985, developed in phases. The first, referring to the previous area of the estate, began in 1985, ending with its inauguration on June 9, 1988, while the second corresponding to the rear of the property ended on March 17, 1994.

The importance of the building cataloged by its historical-artistic interest forced the introduction of any new element in some way forced by its new use, to be carefully weighed by the optional management, deserving special attention to enable its perfect integration in the set.

Descripción Documento Descargar Documento
Ficha informativa del PEPRI
Ficha informativa del PGOU



Comentario Creo que estas páginas aportan información e imágenes de gran calidad. Probablemente no se pueda encontrar todo lo aquí expuesto en un sólo sitio.