CASTILLO DE SAN ANDRÉS

Santa Cruz de Tenerife
- Arquitectura Militar. Fortificaciones -




The first appointment of the existence of the Castle of San Andr s dates from the year 1697, when its construction was proposed, by the Captain General Count of Eril, but for economic reasons its construction was not carried out until 1706, for order of Commander General Agust n de Robles and Lorenzana, who ordered its construction in Miguel Tiburcio Russel. In this first construction the physiognomy of the castle is unknown, because a ravine coming from the nearby ravines caused its destruction in 1740, being rebuilt and destroyed again by the ravine waters in 1769. It was then that the engineer Alfonso Ochando rebuilds it with the circular shape that is currently known.

In 1898, a hall ended up ruining it, leaving it in the state it is currently.

The Castle of San Andr s played a very important role during the attack of the English Admiral Horacio Nelson to the island in 1797, bombing their ships, destroying their arboladuras and rigging.


San Andr s is a town that belongs to the municipality of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, but administratively framed within the Anaga district.

The town of San Andr s has had various names throughout its history, initially the area was occupied by aboriginal Guanche genes, which were known by three different names, Abicor, Abicor and Ibaute, names related to fig plantations That was in the Zone. With the arrival of the Castellanos on the island, the town was renamed Salazar Valley, in honor of Don Lope de Salazar. Subsequently, this name was replaced by the San Andr s Valley, because in the hermitage of the village of worship of this saint. And finally the name of San Andr s was fixed, which is as it is known today.

The area in which the town of San Andr s is located belonged to the Menceyato Guanche de Anaga, was a place of Guanche settlements, approximately 2000 years ago, found there in the same architectural remains of its presence there, as is the Case of the famous Mummy of San Andr s, caves with remains of mummified animals, or stones with Guanche engravings.

After the conquest of the island by Adelantado Alonso Fern ndez de Lugo, he grants ownership of the land to Don Lope de Salazar, for his help in conquering and incorporating the island into the Crown of Castile.

In 1813, San Andr s became a municipality, despite attempts to annex Santa Cruz, according to La Laguna. This situation lasts until King Ferdinand XII of Spain ...


Tower of Defense of circular shape to barbeta (its parapet does not have embrasures nor merlons, nor covers the gunners), with a circumference of 86 meters.

Construction made by load-bearing walls, based on ashlars and mortar.
The Tower had 3 loopholes, which allowed the guns to fire. The entrance to the Tower was made through a wooden bridge, through which 3 steps of live stone are climbed. Pose a esplanade of cobblestones, and the waters that fall therein are collected in a cistern installed in the Tower.

It has a vaulted warehouse and two shelves for accommodation of the soldiers. The b vedas were bomb approvals, to resist the attacks. The Tower also has a bell tower, to give the neighbors the signal of outburst.

Originally, the tower was protected in all its perimeter by a pit, now disappeared. The interior is distributed according to two perpendicular axes, one main and one secondary. On the first one was the access, formed by an esplanade, drawbridge and entrance that communicated with the vaulted enclosure. In the center of this, the second axis originated in a transverse direction, placing on each side a square-shaped enclosure communicating one of them with a third unit.

In 1769, taking advantage of its circumference of 86 meters in length, which gives a meter of 27.3 meters, the engineer Alfonso Ochondo, raised his profile by 10 meters, giving him the final dimensions


The Tower and Castle of San Andr s was built when the island was part of the Crown of Castile, forming part of its defensive buildings.

In 1878, after his dismantling, he surrendered to the mayor of the neighborhood on March 12, 1879.

On January 2, 1924, he declared himself unsuitable for the needs of the army, and handed it over to the City Council of Santa Cruz de Tenerife on January 15, 1926, since then his property fell to that town hall.

It is registered in the Registry Enabled in the City Council of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, with registration date April 15, 1896, book 89, volume 307, folio 227 and property 5939.


In the year 1740, a ravine cause of destruction of the Castle, proceeding to its reconstruction.

In the year 1769, a new ravine destroys the Castle, proceeding again to its reconstruction.

In 1878, a new hall ruined the Tower, so it was dismantled. Later floods continue to bring it down.

In 1898, a hall ended up ruining it, leaving it in the state it is currently.


It is under the protection of the General Declaration of the Decree of April 22, 1949, and Law 16/1985 on the Spanish Historical Heritage.

The Island Council of Tenerife, by Resolution of March 2, 1994 (BOC n 23, of 22.2.95), file for the delimitation of the protection environment of the Castle of San Andr s.

DECREE 308/1999, of November 19, declaring the delimitation of the protection environment of the Castle of San Andr s, in the municipality of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Tenerife Island, Property of Cultural Interest , with the category of Monument.


- VV.AA. (1997). u2018 San Andr s, History of a people u2019, by RODR GUEZ CABRERA, JC, in Castles of Spain, Volume I: Andalusia a. Arag n. Asturias. Balearics. Canary Islands. Cantabria. Ed. Everest, DL, Le n.

- GARC A ARGUELLES, A. (1982). History of Artiller a in Tenerife. Ed. Graphics of Tenerife, Santa Cruz de Tenerife.

- PINTO Y DE LA ROSA, JM (1996). Notes for the history of the ancient fortifications of the Canary Islands. Ed. Regional Military Museum of the Canary Islands, Santa Cruz de Tenerife.

Editorial and research team: Architecture Unit of the CICOP Foundation.
Miguel ngel Fern ndez Matr n.
Jos Luis D will read Mart nez.
Armiche lvarez P rez.
Sendy Hern ndez lvarez.

Photograph: Beatriz Cordob s Noda.


Descripción Documento Descargar Documento
Plano 1598
Alzados de la torre
Emplazamiento
Situación
BOC-1999-159-016 Castillo de San Andrés
BOC-1999-159-016 Castillo de San Andrés

No existe/n Bien/es Relacionado/s