CASA DE LA PÓLVORA

Santa Cruz de Tenerife
- Arquitectura Militar. General -




As was the case in countless ports and in pursuit of their own protection, during the conquests of new territories it was expected that the new inhabitants of the lands would establish their own producer of gunpowder. With this concept of defense clearly significant of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, you can understand the location of the so-called Casa de la P lvora in the city of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, in the area called Cabo-Llanos.

If its construction dates back to the 18th century (1756-1758), the Peruvian factory will be established in the Port of Santa Cruz around 1520, a few days after the insular conquest, which became the Royal Dome given by the emperor Carlos V who is guarded by the Insular Archive of the city of La Laguna. The factory (not the house) will be established in the vicinity of the current Hermitage of Regla. The place chosen for the storage of the product will be late or, in the 18th century towards 1756, in a very close place both to the Castle of San Juan and to the factory itself, today the vicinity of the Hermitage of Regla ( previously called u2018 Field of Crosses u2019). The works began in 1756, and were completed in May 1758, under the plans of the military engineer Francisco Gozar. In the time of the general commander Joaqu n Jos Ib ez Cuevas (17791784), a sword was built around the entire warehouse, to cover it from the views of the sea.

In addition to the building itself, Commander Joaqu n J. Ib ez Cuevas, order to build a wall near the Casa de la P lvora, as it should ...



Casa de la Pólvora

The building defines a rectangular nave with a single-deck barrel cover that draws its sinusoidal silhouette from the outside. On the sides, different buttresses are available to support the wide walls of the building. In all its perimeter only small openings appear in the form of vents and windows in the heads of the headers. The perimeter walls are also whistling. Access is made through a double portal on the west facade. Inside you can see the continuity of the semicircular arches that make up the roof corridor made also from whistling.

CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS AND SYSTEM

The materials used in the construction of this building would be the wheeler and reinforced concrete, forming the exterior walls as well as the foundation of the same.



Casa de la Pólvora

MUNICIPALITY Santa Cruz de Tenerife

AREA Health District-La Salle

ADDRESS Avenida de la Constitución, 35



Casa de la Pólvora

Degree of Protection: Integral.

PGO Santa Cruz de Tenerife.



Casa de la Pólvora

- General Plan of Management of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Vol. 3 Volume 3.2.1-3, file n. 735

- DARIAS PR NCIPE, A. (2004). u2018Santa Cruz de Tenerife. City, Architecture and Historical Memory 1500-1981 u2019, volume I. Edits City Council of Santa Cruz de Tenerife; pp. 206-209.

- CIORANESCU, A. (1979). u2018History of Santa Cruz de Tenerife u2019, vol. III (1803-1977). Ed. CE Savings Banks, Santa Cruz de Tenerife.

-RUMEU DE ARMAS, A. (1947). u2018Canarias and Atlético. Pirater to and naval attacks u2019, t. III, 10 part., 486. Madrid.

-TARQUIS RODR GUEZ, P. (1965-1966) Dictionary of architects, alarifes and stonecutters who have worked in the Canary Islands. Madrid-Las Palmas; pp. 486


Editorial and research team: Architecture Unit of the CICOP Foundation.
Miguel ngel Fern ndez Matr n.
Jos Luis D will read Mart nez.
Armiche lvarez P rez.
Sendy Hern ndez lvarez.

Photograph: Jos M. Bossini Ruiz.


Descripción Documento Descargar Documento
No existe/n Documento/s para este Bien