CAPITANIA GENERAL DE CANARIAS

Santa Cruz de Tenerife
- Arquitectura Civil y Doméstica. Anterior al S.XX -




The Capitan a building occupies the site of the old Military Hospital built between 1776 and 1778. This hospital was demolished in 1879 with the exception of the San Pedro room that took advantage of the new palace, although in 1885 it collapsed because of A storm.

For the construction of the new building, General Weyler reviews the projects of 1852 requesting Mart nez de Campos, President of the Council and Minister of War, permission to tear down the Hospital and build in its place the Capitan Palace and the esplanade military.

The final project was prepared by Tom s Clavijo y Castillo in 1878, based on the one carried out by Colonel Luis Mu oz in 1852. It was approved by the Royal Order of December 30, 1878, and sent to Madrid on February 4, 1879. The work began in that year, the officers of the Engineers Works Command led by Clavijo Castillo and the master teacher Domingo Sicillia Gonz lez.

(See, FRANCISCO JOSE GALANTE GOMEZ: Canarian Architecture from the second half of the 18th century until the end of the XIC century) .. Edit.Edirca, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria 1989.)



Capitania General de Canarias

The impressive official facade consists of two floors, highlighting the central section with low padding and triple cover between pilasters that rest on a stepped base. The main body is composed of large windows, topped with pediments, trimmed in a balcony with iron rails. The side pavilions have low gaps with overalls and high with triangular pediments. The entire structure is finished off with a balustrade that is interrupted in the central strip by the inclusion of a front in which the Kingdom's shield is attached, accompanied by military trophies.

The talking character of the façade was completed with the development in the Assembly Hall of the building, located in the noble body, of an iconographic program typical of the official character of the official institutions; the paintings on its ceiling, made by Gumersindo Robayna, represent the shield-symbols of each of the islands of the Lake Archipi, twinned by those of Castile and Le n, flanked by allegors of Law and Justice.



Capitania General de Canarias

MUNICIPALITY Santa Cruz de Tenerife

AREA Downtown Ifara District

ADDRESS N Plaza Weyler, s / n, 38003 Santa Cruz de Tenerife


PGO of Santa Cruz de Tenerife.


- GALANTE GOMEZ, FJ (1989) 'Canarian Architecture from the second half of the 18th century until the end of the XIC century', Edit.Edirca, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.

- DEGOUR, D. (1908) 'Notes for the History of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, from its foundation to our times', Santa Cruz de Tenerife.

- POGGI Y BORSOTTO, FM (1881) 'Gu a hist-descriptive history of Santa Cruz de Tenerife', Santa Cruz de Tenerife.

- D AZ P REZ, AM (1982). 'La Capitan a General de Canarias', in the IV Colloquium of Canary-American History (1980), Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.

- PERDOMO ALFONSO, M. (1962). 'Real Military Hospital', Diario La Tarde , July 25, 1962.

Editorial and research team: Architecture Unit of the CICOP Foundation.
Miguel ngel Fern ndez Matr n.
Jos Luis D will read Mart nez.
Armiche lvarez P rez.
Sendy Hern ndez lvarez.

Photograph: Jos M. Bossini Ruiz.



Capitania General de Canarias
Descripción Documento Descargar Documento
No existe/n Documento/s para este Bien

No existe/n Bien/es Relacionado/s