CASA DEL CORREGIDOR

San Cristóbal de La Laguna
- Arquitectura Civil y Doméstica. Anterior al S.XX -




Building with a two-street facade, each of a different style. Towards Obispo Rey Redondo Street (former Carrera) with a traditional imprint and marked Renaissance cult character, plateresque cut is known as Casa del Corregidor, while towards the Consistorio street reflects a neoclassical style typical of the first half of the nineteenth century, product of the reform on the primitive facade of the old Town Hall that presented a Renaissance style. This last facade is known as the main headquarters of the City Council of La Laguna.

The construction of the Casa del Corregidor was done around 1540, ending between 1545 and 1546, as stated in the inscription located in the upper right part of the facade. The truth is that its termination does not exceed the year 1546, since the House of the Corregidor bears the medical mark of the governor Jernimo Alvarez de Sotomayor, whose mandate was extended until December 29, 1546.

The only thing that remains of the Caribbean is the red stone cover framed by a pin, in a Renaissance style of Plateresque cut, which has elements of the Gothic. In his style, he is one of the most important exponents of the Canary Islands and resembles many peninsular buildings of the 15th century, carried out by the Portuguese master of Alba Iriaria Juan Yanes.

The medical, profuse in this type of buildings, here is triple. In the lower body, on the left the shield of the corregidor Jer nimo lvarez de Sotomayor, on the right, that of Tenerife, and in the center of the upper body, between the balustraded columns, the imperial shield of Carlos V. The whole set is framed by a large alfiz.



Casa del Corregidor

The cover of the Casa del Corregidor does not renounce its origin and presents the fundamental types that define its style. The use of balustrade columns is one of the most characteristic elements of Plateresco. Your employment earns early and asks for diffusion. Bases, entablamentos and entrepa os are other resources applied on the cover with special insistence. Another detail that is worth highlighting is the sober framing of both the window and the door, a characteristic that is also present in many peninsular works, such as the San Clemente pinewood in Toledo.

The cover is structured in a two-story body. The two sides are advanced by a large spline shaft that runs from the ceiling to the bottom, a little lower than the middle.

The separation between the parts was the account of the Corinthian capitals of the pilasters that flank the door, which together with a frame or entablature produce the separation between the ground floor and the upper floor. these in turn have no base and are hung from the capitals.

the door with a door is framed by two columns of corrugated shaft equally attached as the pilasters that delineate them. In the upper part the columnillas stand out for their balustraded body, split into several segments. Each of these takes different aspects. The shafts are helical and striated. Both columns remain the same until the lower middle third, where they already charge different images, each presenting a personalized base. As the columns m ...



Casa del Corregidor

The author of the cover is very questionable. Fernando Mart n, is unaware of Pedro Tarquis, who attributes it to Francisco Merino, without according to the previous author who has any foundation. Jos Rodr guez Moure is categorical: On October 26, 1543 the concert was signed with the brothers Sebasti and Francisco Merino to make the wall at the entrance of the town hall, and with Francio Gil D az styling the canter door at stone from the quarries of Tegueste, the same quarry from which Francisco Hern Ndez took out the songs of the parapet that Francis Merino was working. These last names also mention Juan Sebastian L. Garc Ayan fish attached a third party that is Juan Yanes, Portuguese nationality, without specifying whether he worked in the House of the Corregidor or in the work in general.

In the constructions of the time there are several articles. The task was developed with the effort of various builders, artisans belonging to the social and local environment and who worked normally conditioned to the taste of those who hired them. until half of that century, houses did not usually bring the name of their builder, even those with the greatest financial contribution. In those years the architecture in the Canary Islands was animate.

The 16th century marked La Laguna with Renaissance style works. The Casa del Corregidor is among them as one of those that is presented with special relevance, since it is characterized by having a very peculiar style of the Plateresque in the Canary Islands according to authors such as Adri n German, Jo ...



Casa del Corregidor

MUNICIPALITY San Crist bal de La Laguna

ZONE District1- Historic Center

ADDRESS Calle Obispo Rey Redondo, 1


Descripción Documento Descargar Documento
Alzado 1 .Fachada principal. Calle Obispo Rey redondo
Alzado 2. fachada Principal. Calle Obispo Rey Redondo
Levantamiento gráfico de la portada
Levantamiento de la fachada a la calle Obispo Rey Redondo