In the mid-18th century, Jos Jacinto de Mesa y Castilla (1690-1780), built this building until 1765 was whitewashed and placed a new coat of arms.
Both the facade and the interior have been remodeled on successive occasions; Its cover is the only part of the original building that is kept outside. This retains the classic features of the XVIII, highlighting the coat of arms of the Mesa family, made in marble and topped by the crown of the Marquis, title that Francisco Jos de Mesa y Ponte, first Marques de Torrehermosa since 1776. The shield bears the inscription "HVLM" (Courageous Man Lope de Mesa) Captain Lope de Mesa in Canaria. Year 1599
Inside, the armor of two roofs that preserve great decorative wealth with starry motifs, crosses and squares stand out. The continuous remodeling, as well as the successive repainting, have hidden what could have been one of the most eighteenth-century houses in La Laguna.
In its interior a chapel is conserved through which a dependency is accessed through an arch of red canter to red that in its day would be part of some intimate stay of the house
Nava Patronage of Catholic Schools
According to Rodr Guez Moure in his Historical Guide of La Laguna, with this name he founded Mar de la Concepci n Salazar de Fr as y Chirino, Marquise widow of Villanueva del Prado and Acialc zar, by testament ol grafo and in memory of her husband Don Fernando de nava-Grim ny del Hoyo, marquis of these titles, the patronage of this name with the purpose of founding "genuinely Catholic schools for the education of the children of the working class and proletarian of the municipal term of La Laguna ".
After the death of the aforementioned Marquise on October 11, 1911, and the board of trustees was constituted, of which Rodr Guez Moure was a testamentary patron, and with the capital that for that purpose left that benemite, one prays, plus a donation from Bishop Rey Round, the will of the marquise was carried out, and the building that belonged to the famous Don Lope de Mesa was acquired for the will of the school.
Until the late 1970s, it was used as a college for the HH of the Christian Schools, and was finally used as the headquarters of the Courts before their transfer to their new location in the Plaza del Adelantado in 2013.
SORIANO AND BEN TEZ DE LUGO, Alfonso: Laguneras Houses and Families. Producciones Gr ficas SL 2007
ALEMAN DE ARMAS, Adrian: Guide of La Laguna. Culture area of the Cabildo de Tenerife. 2002
RODR GUEZ MOURE, J .: Historical guide of La Laguna. Institute of Canarian Studies. 1935
The factory was made by superimposing stones of a more or less regular size and shape called mampuestos, not collected by a mortar or mortar based on lime and mud that were filled by smaller stones (matacanes) or rubble that acted as chock and improved rigging work.
Its facade and much of the interior were completely varied in the early twentieth century under an eclectic style of historicist inspiration. Of the original facade only the cover of the 18th century remains.
The openings are arranged symmetrically, six sash windows on the first floor and six doors with two wooden and glass sheets on the ground floor, where their vertical axes are coincident.
The holes are topped with moldings forming a lintel-level recess and the windows at the height of the sill are topped with a cornice as a sill.
According to Rodr Guez Moure the house had an imposing traditional balcony forming a corner
On the central axis of the facade is the main door, framed by two lateral pilasters with classic capitals, which support a entablature in straight lintel with central cornice that serves as the basis for a front of steep curves of baroque inspiration with the shield familiar in the center, being topped by a crown symbol of the marquisate.
On the side facade, on Viana Street, six doors are aligned on the ground floor to those of the façade ...
The Mesa family is established in Tenerife since the same conquest of the island, which they visited from San Lucar de Barrameda, accompanied by the Adelantado, the brothers, Don Lope, Don Diego and Don Juan de Mesa.
Don Lope's offspring resided in La Laguna and had their manor house on the current Obispo Rey Redondo Street (Carrera Street) N 7.
Don Lope's great-grandson was the famous sergeant major of Tenerife, Don Lope de Mesa and Ocampo.
The descendant of the conqueror Don Diego de Mesa, younger brother of Don Lope, was established in La Orotava and was awarded the title of Marqu s de Torre Hermosa in the person of Don Jos de Mesa Lugo y Ayala, at the mercy of King Carlos II of August 5, 1671; and the youngest of Don Juan de Mesa's brothers, after the conquest of the island of Tenerife, returned to his house in Jerez de la Frontera, where he married and left succession.
MUNICIPALITY San Crist bal de La Laguna
ZONE District1- Historic Center
ADDRESS Calle Obispo Rey Redondo, 7
|Descripción Documento||Descargar Documento|
|Escudo de la fachada (Dibujo de Evelyn Pérez Pérez)|
|Esquema de carpinteria en puertas (Dibujo de Evelyn Pérez Pérez)|
|Esquema de carpinteria en ventanas (Dibujo de Evelyn Pérez Pérez)|
|Alzado principal (Dibujo de Evelyn Pérez Pérez)|
|Alzado lateral (Dibujo de Evelyn Pérez Pérez)|