In 1817, the same year that the Literary University of San Fernando begins, the Library is created by agreement of its cloister. In the mid-19th century, the Library is going through a period of transformation, where it emerges as the main transmitter of university baggage. In 1838 it had become a Provincial Library, and 7 years later, in 1845, when the University of San Fernando was abolished and the Canary Islands Institute was created by royal order on August 21, 1846, the Library is added to it , becoming the Provincial Library and the Canary Islands Institute. The Library was installed, and remained there until 1950, in a wing of the upper part of the former Augustinian convent of La Laguna. From 1887 two small rooms were added. In 1913, the Library was still installed in the former Augustinian convent, with more than 30,000 volumes. In 1927, the Canarian University Board of Trustees was created, providing a budget for the library and laboratories. Parallel to the Provincial and Institute Library and located in a different place, the University Collection is created with 3,380 works in 1928, structured in four sections; General Culture, Law, Philosophy and Letters and Sciences. In 1941 it was decreed by the Ministry of National Education, the Provincial Library to become part of the University Library. In 1954 the faculties of Law, Philosophy and Letters, and Science are centralized in the new building, outside the Central of the University. Shortly after the local collection, the Library of the Canary Islands, is created in order to bring together those works of author, theme or Canary edition.
Between the General Library and the small collections of cedars, there are libraries of faculties or schools, first in the Faculty of Surveyors, then in the Faculty of Agricultural Engineering and for teacher training; In 1968 the library emerges in the Faculty of Medicine and in the 70s in Pharmacy, Biology, Mathematics, Fine Arts, Economics and the School of Business. Also the libraries of the Technical Schools of Architecture and Industrial Engineers such as those of the University College of Las Palmas, which under the Law of University Reform of the Canary Islands separated from La Laguna, where libraries have continued to be created in the new study centers: Faculty of Information Sciences, Higher Information Technology Center, and Higher Education Center, to establish a network of specialized libraries. From the 80s, in the most modern Spanish universities, the centralization of the documentary funds in large bibliographic collections, as well as the growth of the newspaper libraries, and the maintenance of information services. The centralization of the funds began with the collections of the departments of the faculties of Letters, to constitute in 1987 the Library of Humanities. In that same year, the Reference Section was created in the General Library and from 1989 the collections of specialized magazines were reorganized, and the newspaper libraries were generalized, introducing in 1988 the Documentation Service and Bibliographic Information as well as Theses and theses are centralized in the Research Fund and the Media Library is created, starting with that of Health Sciences. In 1992, when the University fulfilled its bicentennial, the new building of the University Library of La Laguna was inaugurated.
-Gonz lez Ant n, J. (1992). The new General and Humanities library of La Laguna University , 107-122.
-Canales Serrano, F., Morales Ayala, M. and Guti rrez Navarro, A. (2017). Where the future comes from: Commemorative exhibition of the 225th anniversary of the University of La Laguna. La Laguna: University, Publications Service.
-University of La Laguna. Student Orientation Service. (nineteen ninety six). Study Guide 1997 / University of La Laguna , [Student Orientation Service]. La Laguna: University, Vice-Rector's Office for Students.
-University of La Laguna. Student Orientation Service. (2000). Information guide and university orientation: for counselors and tutors 2002-2003 . La Laguna: University, Vice-Rector's Office for Students.
-Red of Social Observatories of the Spanish Universities waves. (2001). Study on the socioeconomic impact of the University . [Sl]: [sn]
-Fraga-Gonz lez, C. (1998) u2018 Architectural and artistic heritage u2019 of the University of La Laguna , 1st Edition. Ed. CE CajaCanarias, Publications Service Universidad de la Laguna University Campus, La Laguna, Santa Cruz de Tenerife; p 78-82.
-N ez-Mu oz, Mar a F. (1998) u2018 History of the University of La Laguna u2019, 1st Edition, Volume III, Vol II. Ed. CE CajaCanarias, Publications Service Universidad De la Laguna University Campus, La Laguna, Santa Cruz de Tenerife; p 239-245.
-Visor: www.G ...
The facade of the building is constructed from cement and beige stone cladding in the form of thick blocks.
The front part of the building, which consists of two facades, is characterized by the set of windows that form two large windows with copper-colored metal frames, occupying a length of 5 floors in the case of the major module. There are also tilt-and-turn opening windows of the same material although smaller in the back and on the right side of the building. The windows, which also have a wide view of the Anaga mountain range and the green areas of the Guajara Campus, give the building natural light. On the other hand, artificial light is collective and complies with the standardized parameters: from 320 to 430 lux on a page in the Reading Rooms, and from 53 to 107 lux in the vertical plane of the shelves.
The interior walls are covered with plaster and white paint in order to give spaciousness and luminosity to the building. The general and research area areas have removable soil that has the function of maintaining the wiring correctly. On the other hand, the building is equipped with mechanical ventilation of hot or cold air, in order to facilitate the preservation of books and documents. The building is soundproofed, the noise level being less than 30 decibels thanks to insulation systems such as double windows, noise-absorbing material on the floors and insulating panels, among others.
The building designed by the architects Francisco Artengo Rufino and José Angel Dom Nguez Anad n, has a marked minimalist aesthetic, characterized in addition by its pronounced triangular geometry. Another of the most visible characteristics of the Library are the large windows that provide luminosity to the building.
The library consists of 7 floors in the major module, 2 in the minor module, 11,800 square meters and 1,400 reading places. In addition, it has large reading rooms, soundproof carrels, Special Funds rooms, audiovisual room, Humanities and Canary Islands newspaper library, room for hemerogrical practices, Media Library Fund, conference auditorium and Art gallery, among others .
The circulation of users is more fluid and seeks to avoid unnecessary crowds and noise. For this, it has a distribution in which each plant has different functions from the rest. It also has external access with ramps and without architectural barriers, public stairs, elevators and forklifts.
|PLANO DE LA PLANTA DE EL NIVEL -1.
|PLANO DE LA PLANTA DE EL NIVEL 0.
|PLANO DE LA PLANTA DE EL NIVEL 1
|PLANO DE LA PLANTA DE EL NIVEL 2
|PLANO DE LA PLANTA DE EL NIVEL 3
|PLANO DE LA PLANTA DE EL NIVEL 4
|PLANO DE LA PLANTA DE EL NIVEL 5.
|PLANO DE LA PLANTA DE LA CUBIERTA.
|PLANTA TERCERA / PLANTA CUARTA / PLANTA QUINTA.
|ARQUITECTURA CIVIL Y DOMÉSTICA