Although the initial idea was to build this castle since 1625, when General Francisco de And a arrived with the order to improve the defense of the archipelago, it did not happen until later. On the occasion of the war against Portugal, in 1641, the Paso Alto area was rightly incorporated and in the order of ammunition it was said that it was the fortress that best held the port.
Although today it is little known, it was one of the main defense lines of Santa Cruz, the function of the Paso Alto Castle was to protect the north of the city by taking advantage of the sea currents of the area as the main advantage. This military complex became very important for the city since its construction in the 17th century. Next to the castles of San Crist bal in the center and San Juan in the south, the castle of Paso Alto is one of the fundamental vertices in the strategy for the defense of the city. At the end of the 16th century, a small defensive bulwark was installed in the area, artillery the place and leaving a small body of guard that functioned effectively, when circumstances demanded, throughout the seventeenth century. This original construction was only a small installation, but despite having received much punishment, it was very effective in Blake's attack on the city in 1657. In 1683 he tried to demolish, but General Commander F opposed lix Nieto de Silva, Count of Guaro.
Building of thick mortar walls currently made up of a semi-circular upper esplanade bordered by embrasures that face the sea, from which you descend through an external staircase to a rectangular floor patio located on a lower level that connects with interior spaces connected between each other.
It was the second most important castle in the port. The back of the fortification was two stories. In the lower one was the chapel, the lodgings for the troops, dungeon, storage of guns and equipment, stables, etc. In the superior, the housing of the warden and officers, kitchen, pantry and body of guard.
The castle of Paso Alto, small or fort at first, widened between the years 1669 and 1670, and the primitive bastion then became a castle.
In 1782 a complete rebuilding was carried out as recorded in a request, which is preserved: Reigning Carlos III, commanding Lieutenant General Joaquín Ib ez Cuevas, marqués de la Caada, on these islands, the repair was completed n of this Castle ... In 1774, a violent storm caused him great damage, more than those that caused the bombings he suffered from the Nelson squad, despite the fact that a projectile fell into the chapel.
At the end of the 19th century, when it was believed that the United States was going to invade us, a battery was built next to the castle, which was demolished in the 1960s to build the Military Sports Club of Paso Alto.
Declaration: Decree of April 22, 1949, of the Ministry of National Education.
Degree of Protection: Integral.
R GIMEN JUR DICO COMPLEMENTARY: BIC Monument and BIC Monument Environment 19.
- General Plan of Management of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Vol. 3 Volume 3.2.1-3, file n. 13.
- NORIEGA AG ERO, MA (2016). u2018Fortifications of the island of Tenerife. From the tower of Azo to World War II u2019, Cabildo de Tenerife. Tenerife
- GARC A ARGUELLES, A. (1982). 'History of Artiller a in Tenerife' . Ed. Graphics of Tenerife, Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
- PINTO Y DE LA ROSA, JM (1996). 'Notes for the history of the ancient fortifications of the Canary Islands' , Ed. Regional Military Museum of the Canary Islands, Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
Editorial and research team: Architecture Unit of the CICOP Foundation.
Miguel ngel Fern ndez Matr n.
Jos Luis D will read Mart nez.
Sendy Hern ndez lvarez.
Photograph: Jos M. Bossini Ruiz.
|Descripción Documento||Descargar Documento|
|No existe/n Documento/s para este Bien|
|No existe/n Imagen/es para este Bien|